Roammates – The Lieutenant’s Conversion – Vol.4

If it isn’t a right angle, it is a wrong angle. Well, there is plenty of those in the Lieutenant, because nothing, NOTHING, is right in there. Which means that each plywood panel has to be a cut and sanded to be a perfect fit. We present each panel at least 10 times (up to 30 for some) before we are happy with it, and I am not even exagerating! Then we have to figure where to drill, then we screw the panels on. That’s 16 panels, my friends! I’ll let you do the maths…


As the Lieutenant is heavy enough as it is, we wanted to us light materials. We thought about using resin panels, but couldn’t find enough. That’s when a nice man who sells carbon panels suggested we used poplar. It’s  alsmost as light as resin, easy to cut and work with, and nicely grained. Pretty much what we wanted in the first place! 


It all begins with the frame. Given the curving of the Lieutenant’s side walls, we decided to plce the brackets horizontally. You want to avoid knots obviously, and pick them as straight as possible. If needed, you may have to use wedges to obtain a straight surface, like we did. It is a bit of a pain, but it has to be done!
We used POP rivets to fix the brackets directly on the metal: all you need is to drill a hole in the metal (where it can be done) and in the bracket, then use a POP rivet gun. If we were able to do it, then you can do it to!

For the walls, we used 3-mm plywood, so it is flexible enough to follow the curves of the metal.
Each panel was cut with a circular saw, then a smaller electrical saw, then sanded (electrically and by hand). It is actually not that difficult, just long. So be patient, and be ready to try your panels what will feel like hundreds of times!

Again, feel free to ask any question you may have, and we’ll try to answer as best as we can!



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.